In anticipation of the full reassembly I decided to make a whole lot more spool clamps – I now have bout 30 – mostly remaking the original ones as I skimped a bit on the wood and they were prone to breaking. Method same as before – this time using 28mm dowel and making each piece about 2cm thick, before drilling the central hole and fitting with threaded rod, washers a nyloc lock nut and a wing-nut.

spool clamps

spool clamps

Then it was back to repairing more cracks – this time near the shoulder at the neck end. I used a double clamp which attaches to either side of teh crack, then the two edges are drawn together across the lateral axis of the clamp – it is such a useful tool for this kind of work!

double clamp

double clamp

Then the whole length of the crack was clamped using the luthier body clamps. These are curved to fit over the violin body.

violin body clamps

violin body clamps

Soon it will be time for reassembly

Advertisements